Amoeba Evolution

Developed by Dumpster Squirrel, during my sophomore year at DigiPen. Dumpster Squirrel was a team composed of myself and three class mates, Dana Drew, Ryan Diederich, and Adam Villalobos. Amoeba Evolution was chosen to be one of the sophomore games added to the DigiPen gallery, and can be found here.

In sophomore year at DigiPen teams work on 2D sprite based games. This is the first project where students really stretch their wings and try to do something cool generaly. My team went into our project knowing two things: we wanted to always hit our milestones with a minimum amount of crunch and we wanted to make something we had fun playing. We managed to do both of these things, but as proud as I am of hitting our milestones without breaking a sweat I feel like we could have pushed ourselves to make the game far better than it ended up being.

Amoeba Evolution is a top-down shooter inspired by games like Smash TV by Williams and Geometry Wars by Bizarre Creations. The player controls an amoeba in a petri dish fighting against other, evil single cell organisms. These enemies drop power ups that boost your attributes and, when combined in certain groups, grant Evolution Techniques. The game was designed to be a multiplayer game, allowing for people to easily sit down and join in. The single player experience was some what less polished and there was no real end to the game as it just continued to scale the number and difficulty of enemies.

My focus on this game was writing the sound system, using fmod, a data driven object factory using prototypes generated from XML sheets, and doing all the art for the game using Flash and Photoshop. I helped integrate Lua into the project to allow us to utilize scripting. I assisted with the graphics system, helping to re-write some of it to improve performance and add particle system support. I worked with Ryan to write gameplay and Evolution Technique code and Lua scripts.

I really enjoyed working on the object factory. It was a feature we didn't end up exploiting quite as much as we figured but it was pretty robust and I reused it in later projects.